In the short time that Tatiana has been home she has had many firsts. She arrived here twelve days ago. She has gone to a water park, to a pool, played in her own backyard, gone on a boat ride, been to church, slept in her very own room, played with her brothers, been shopping at Meijers for groceries, played on a beach, and the list goes on. It is amazing to think of all of the new experiences she has had.
We read to Tatiana every day and tell her the english words for things all day long. She is begining to speak in english...a word here and there. For example, tonight when she was eating dinner she said "good". And she does on occasion, call me Mom (like her brothers do) instead of Mama.
We see other changes happening too. Tatiana is now beginning to cry when she is hurt. This may sound a little strange but, until recently I would notice a cut or scratch that is big enough to bleed and Tatiana would never bring it to my attention. She would fall and obviously hurt herself and not stop and cry but would get up and go on. This is something that I have heard described in other children who have lived in an institutional setting. Kevin and I are providing comfort to her each time she hurts herself and now we are noticing a change...she will now cry and even come to us for comfort. I know this all sounds backwards... don't we usually try to not make a big deal out of a childs minor cuts and scrapes? As I wrote in another post we are doing things a little different with Tatiana to foster attachment with her. We are hoping that she will begin to learn that we are here to take care of her and that we are reliable, trustworthy and mostly that we love her.
There are many more firsts to come for Tatiana and many more things for her to learn and experience....her journey is just beginning. And I am so happy to be expeiencing it with her!---Melanie

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home