Woven In
Tatiana has been home now for three months. I see her becoming more and more a part of our family as if she is being woven in. On November 21 Tatiana was Baptized in front of her church family at Eastern Avenue Christian Reformed Church and into the family of God. She did amazingly well and seemed to somehow understand the importance of the day. Kevin, Caleb, Jared and I all felt the intense emotion of the day. We are thankful for Mary Hulst who returned to Eastern Avenue from Illinois to administer the Baptism for Tatiana! Mary has been with our family through much joy and pain. Having her here for Tatiana's Baptism has deep meaning for us. Mary is for us one part of the fabric of our family which is woven together with pain and joy, heartache and peace. Her presence at the baptism after being with us through both the pain and joy of the past helps us to weave Tatiana deeper into our family.
Tatiana's language comprehension and expression continue to grow every day. She is now speaking in four word sentances and is much easier for us to understand. There are still moments when I have to say to her "I don't understand" It continues to be frustrating for her and for us but we do see the progress she has made. We look forward to the coming months when we know that communication will continue to improve.
Jared and Caleb continue to do well with Tatiana and have taken on more of the role of big brothers. The three of them play games together... like hide and seek and pretend....they are able to play things that do not require much language. Of course they have moments when they get frustrated with Tatiana...some of that is normal sibling difficulties and some of it is the difficulty of living with a young person who has been istitutionalized her entire life.
Of course, during the past month, Anneke has been on our minds. Two years ago in November she died. Even though we think about Anneke every day of the year this anniversary time is difficult. I continue to long for her and wish that all four of my children could be together and that I could hold them all.
As I have gotten to know Tatiana over the past few months I have come to see that she and I are much alike. I knew before we ment that we had had similar experiences and also some very different experiences. We have both been abandoned by our birth parents and adopted into new families. Our lives filled with loss and blessings from the beginning. I see Tatiana's stubborn spirit and her ability to cope with the stress of her young life. I pray that these traits will aid her and that they will not hinder her from having many years of joy ahead. I know of the pains that life can hold and especially a life that begins with pain. I pray for her and ask the God will show ther the way to peace in her life over the years ahead and I ask him to guide me as I parent her.
Melanie

1 Comments:
Hello friends,
A poignant and lovely post. It was truly an honor for me to be a part of this day. I am so glad that Tatiana is home and well, and that she has parents who understand her in all the ways that matter most, even if you can't always understand her words.
My affection for all of you runs deep.
Have a Blessed Advent season,
Mary
Post a Comment
<< Home